2009/10/08

Say It Better In English -4


46. Get sidetracked: become distracted from something important



Ex: I didn’t finish my homework. There was a good movie on TV,


so I got sidetracked.


47. Gone for the day: say this when someone will not come back that day


Ex: Kate’s gone for the day. You can reach her at home.


48. In the lighting business: say this to show the industry someone works in


Ex: I’m in the publishing business. I’m an editor.


49. A win-win situation: a situation that has good results in many ways


Buying a house is a win-win situation. If you sell it, you make money. If you keep it, you make money.


50. That’s it: nothing more


Ex: Are there any more cookies? No. That’s it.


51. It’s about time: it is overdue, but it is finally happening


Ex: The package arrived. It’s about time. I’ve been waiting for week.


52. Get it: answer the phone


53. Pick something up( pick up something) : collect something


Ex: I left my book at your house. Could I come over later and pick it up?


54. Can I take a rain check? :can we change the plan to another time in the future?


Ex: I have to cancel to our plans for lunch today. Can I take a rain check?


Ex: Would you like to go out for dinner tonight?


Sorry, I can’ make it tonight. Can I take a rain check?


55. Take time off: decide not to go to work for a short time


Ex: I took three months off after I had the baby.


56. On top of that: in addition to, also –say this when the last piece of information is important


I’m very busy. I have two children, I work full-time, and on top of that I take evening classes.


57. Put clothes on : this in not the same as ‘wear’ clothes: first we put clothes on; then we are wearing clothes.


Ex: He’s only two years old. He doesn’t know how to put on his shoes.


58. I didn’t mean that: say this when someone does not understand what you said.


59.Do you mind if I join you?: ask this for permission to be with someone


Ex: We’re going to the movies.
Do you mind if I join you?
No, we don’t mind. Please come along.


60. Chip in: contribute money
Ex: Every summer, my friends and I chip in $ 100 each to rent a boat.

EX: My older brothers and sisters chipped in to pay for my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment