2009/10/08

Say It Better In English - 5


61. Drop someone off: take someone to a place and leave them there



Ex: Could you drop me off at the bank?


62. End up doing something : finally do something


Ex: Tim was a bad student. How did he end up becoming a doctor?


63. You shouldn’t have: say this to show appreciation when receiving a gift.


Ex: I bought you this gift.
Thank you, but you shouldn’t have.


64. Take turns doing something: alternate(i.e. you, then me, then you, then me)


Ex: It’s a long way. Let’s take turn driving.
Ex: last year, my husband and I both worked, so we took turns cooking dinner.


65. Remind someone to: say something to help someone remember
Ex: When we get to the grocery store, please remind me to buy some eggs.


66. Fed up with something: unhappy about something that has been happening for a long time
Ex: I don’t like my job. I’m fed up with paperwork.


67. As long as : on the condition that; providing that
Ex: I ‘d like to leave at 4 o’clock today.
That’s fine as long as you finish the report first.

68. That sounds : say this to give your opinion after reading or hearing something.
69. You’re not allowed to do something: doing something is not permitted
I read that you’re not allowed to chew gum in Singapore.


70. Despite something: not affected by something
Ex: He goes jogging everyday despite having a broken arm.


71. As a result: consequently; as an effect
Ex: It rained a lot last year. As a result, we sold a lot of umbrellas.


72. Sorry to interrupt: say this you want to talk to someone who is already speaking
Ex: Sorry to interrupt, but Mr. Kim wants to see you right now.


73. In good condition/in perfect condition: not broken/ like new
Ex: My car is in perfect condition because I take good care of it.


74. He just stepped out :He went out for a short time
75. I’ll put you through: I will connect you – say this during a phone call
Ex: I’d like to speak to the manager.
      One moment, please. I’ll put you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment