2009/10/07

SEEDFOLKS (2- ANA) by Paul Fleischman


Seedfolks is about a garden community story and humanship. There are 13 different monologue about them along with garden.  Please enjoy each of them.    

Seedfolks by Paul Fieschman

[ANA]

I do love to sit and loot out the window. Why do I need TV when I have forty-eight apartment windows to watch across the vacant lot, and a sliver of Lake Erie? I’ve seen history out this window. So much. I was four when we moved here in 1919. The Fruit-sellers’ carts and coal wagons were pulled and coal wagons were pulled down the street by horses back then. I used to stand just here and watch the coal brought up by the handsome lad form Groza, the village my parents were born in. Gibb Street was mainly Rumanians back then. It was “Adio”-“Goody-bye”- in all the shops when you left. Then the Rumanians started leaving. They weren’t the first, or the last. This has always been a working-class neighborhood. It’s like a cheap hotel-you stay until you’ve got enough money to leave. A lot of Slovaks and Italians moved in next. Then Negro families in the Depression. Gibb Street became the line between the blacks and the whites, like a border between countries. I watched it happen, through this very window.



I lived over in Cleveland Heights for eighteen years, then I moved back in to take care of my parents. That border moved too. Most all the whites left. Then the steel mills and factories closed and everybody left, like rats. Buildings abandoned. Men with no work drinking from nine to five instead, down there in the lot. Always the sirens, people killing each other. Now I see families from Mexico and Cambodia and countries I don’t know, twelve people sometimes in one apartment. New languages in the shops and on the street. These new people leave when they can, like the others. I’m the only one staying. It’s so. Staying and staring out this same window.


This spring I looked out and I saw something strange. Down in the lot, a little black-haired girl, hiding behind that refrigerator. She was working at the dirt and looking around suspiciously all the time. Then I realized. She was burying something. I never had children of my own, but I’ve seen enough in that lot to know she was mixed up in something she shouldn’t be. And after twenty years typing for the Parole department, I just about knew what she’d buried. Drugs most likely, or money, or a gun. The next moment, she disappeared like a rabbit.


I thought of calling up the police. Then I saw her there the next morning, and I decided I’d solve this case myself. We had a long spell of rain then. I didn’t set eyes on her once. Then the weather turned warm and I saw her twice more, always in the morning, on her way to school. She was crouched down with her back to me so I couldn’t see just what she was doing. My curiosity was like a fever inside me. Then one morning she was there, glancing about, and she looked straight up at this window. I pulled my head back behind the curtain. I wasn’t sure if she’d seen me. If she had, she wouldn’t leave her treasure buried long. Then I knew I’d have to dig it up before she did.


I waited an hour after she left. Then I took an old butter knife and my cane and hobbled down all three flights of stairs. I worked my way through that awful jungle of junk and finally came to her spot. I stooped down. It was wet there and easy digging. I hacked and jug, but didn’t find anything, except for a large white bean. I tried a new spot and found another, then a third. Then the truth of it slapped me full in the face. I said to myself, “ what have you done?” Two beans had roots. I knew I’d done them harm. I felt like I’d read through her secret diary and had ripped out a page without meaning to. I laid those beans right back in the ground, as gently as sleeping babies. Then I patted the soil as smooth as could be.


The next morning she was back. I peeked around the curtain. She didn’t look up here or give any sign that she noticed something wrong. I could see her clearly this time. She reached a hand into her schoolbag. Then she pulled out a jar, unscrewed the lid, and poured out water onto the ground.


That morning I bought some binoculars.


23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ana is probably in her old ages because she uses a cane. In her chapter she uses a cane, and it seems like she is very old in some clues in the book. We just know she's elderly.

      Delete
    2. She was born in 1915. She is retired from the Parole department, she took care of her old parents. In the book she is about 70-85 years old.

      Delete
  2. why is it called ana and not anna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana and Anna are different names. Ana is pronounced "Ah - Nah" and Anna is pronounced "Ann - Uh".

      Delete
  3. Why is the text Orange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. some of the stories I read is connected to this

    ReplyDelete
  5. why does it say in the first line, she loves to loot out the window?

    ReplyDelete
  6. why would she buy binoculars when she could see the girl clearly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so that next time she doesn't mistake someone planting beans for someone hiding drugs?

      Delete
  7. dkdkddkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkddkkddkdkdkddkdkdkdkddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdkmmlz[okzzm=m9dfjvcpjoajvposjfpoajoajpoiifn]qovjovo

    ReplyDelete
  8. ][e][c][c][c][]c[]c[]c[rt][gb][b][gt][4r][g[]b][f][b ][b][f][b]g[][t]5r][b[]b][b][b

    ReplyDelete