2009/10/08

SEEDFOLKS (3-WENDELL) by Paul Fleischman




WENDELL


My phone doesn’t ring much, which suits me fine. That’s how I got the news about our boy, shot dead like a dog in the street. And the word, last year, about my wife’s car wreck. I can’t hear a phone and not jerk inside. When Ana called I was still asleep. Phone calls that wake me up are the worst.


“Get up here quick!” she says. I live on the ground floor and watch out for her a little. We’re the only white people left in the building. I ran up the stairs. I could tell it was serious. I prayed I wouldn’t find her dead. When I got there, she looked perfectly fine. She dragged me over to the window. “Look down there!” she says. “They’re dying!”


”What?” I yelled back.


“The plants!” she says.


I was mad. She gave me some binoculars and told me all about the Chinese girl. I found the plants and got them in focus. There were four of them in a row, still little. They were wilted. Leaves flopped flat on the ground.


“What are they?” she asked.


“Some kind of beans.” I grew up on a little farm in Kentucky. “ But she planted ‘em was too early. She’s lucky those seeds even came up.”


“But they did,” said Ana. “And it’s up to us to save them.”



 It was a weekend in May and hot. You’d have thought that those beans were hers. They needed water, especially in that heat. She said the girl hadn’t come in four days-sick, probably, or gone out of town. Ana had twisted her ankle and couldn’t manage the stairs. She pointed to a pitcher. “Fill that up and soak them good. Quick now.


School janitors take too much bossing all week to listen to an extra helping on weekends. I stared at her one long moment, then took my time about filling the pitcher.


I walked down the stairs and into the lot and found the girl’s plants. You don’t plant beans till the weather’s hot. Then I was what had kept her seed from freezing. The refrigerator in front of them had bounced the sunlight back on the soil, heating it up like an oven. I bent down and gave the dirt a feel. It was hard packed and light colored. I studied the plants. Leaves shaped like spades in a deck of cards. Definitely beans. I scraped up a ring of dirt around the first plant, to hold the water and any rain that fell. I picked up the pitcher and poured the water slowly. Then I heard something move and spun around. The girl was there, stone-still, ten feet away, holding her own water jar.


She hadn’t seen me behind the refrigerator. She looked afraid for her life. Maybe she thought I’d jump up and grab her. I gave her a smile and showed her that I was just giving her plants some water. This made her eyes go even bigger. I stood up slowly and backed away. I smiled again. She watched me leave. We never spoke one word.


I walked back there that evening and checked on the beans. They’d picked themselves up and were looking fine. I saw that she’d made a circle of dirt around the other three plants. Out of nowhere the words form the Bible came into my head:”And a little child shall lead them.” I didn’t know way at first. Then I did. There’s plenty about my life I can’t change. Can’t bring the dead back to life on this earth. Can’t change myself into a millionaire. But a patch of ground in this trashy lot-I can change that. Can change it big. Better to put my time into that than moaning about the other all day. That little grammar-school girl showed me that.


The lot had buildings on three sides. I walked around and picked myself out a spot that wouldn’t be shaded too much. I dragged the garbage off to the side and tossed out the biggest pieces of broken glass. I looked over my plot, squatted down, and fingered the soil awhile.


That Monday I brought a shovel home from work.













8 comments:

  1. do you have the rest of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. Go to the URL. Instead of the 3, type the number of the chapter you want to search. Then type in the name of the character you want instead of "wendell".

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book sucks we have to read it and do a bunch of other stuff for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, just another person crying that they have to do work and other stuff.

      Delete